Summer and vacations are supposed to be fun times. You can continue to keep your home safe and secure even while you’re away by following a few simple steps:
- Contact the Sheriff’s Office and request a “house check” while you are away. Please click here for complete information.
- Notify your block captain or a trusted neighbor that you will be away. Provide them with a key and let them know how to reach you. Also give them your car description and license plate number. Don’t forget to take their telephone number with you so you can check in during your vacation.
- Contact your newspaper and request a “vacation hold” or temporarily cancel your subscription while you are away.
- The Postal Service provides a “hold mail” service, which will safely hold your mail while you are away. Visit the United States Postal Service at: https://holdmail.usps.com/duns/HoldMail.jsp for further information.
- Ask a neighbor to pick up any throw away papers, flyers, etc., that may be left on your door or driveway while you are gone.
- Make arrangements to have your grass cut and maintained.
- Check window locks and door locks to make sure they are in good working order. Use auxiliary locks when at all possible, especially on the sliding glass door.
- Use timers on lights and a radio to go off at appropriate times to give the appearance of normal activity
- Turn off the ringer on your telephone so it can’t be heard from outside
- Do NOT leave a message on your voice mail that you are away on vacation
- Keep all drapes/shades/curtains are in their normal daytime position so that neighbors or police can see into your house. Better yet, ask your block captain/neighbor to open and close them daily.
- If you are leaving vehicles at your home make sure they are LOCKED and remove garage door openers
- Ask your neighbor to park in your driveway
- On trash days tell your neighbor they can put their garbage out in front of your home
- Lock your garage door. Disengage or turn off power to the automatic door opener
- Check your lighting to make sure it’s in proper working order. Lighting is the #1 crime deterrent! Motion sensor lighting or dusk to dawn lighting can give your home the appearance of someone being there.
- Before you get into your vehicle to leave for your wonderful vacation, take a walk around the house and check all windows and doors to make sure they are secure.
HAVE A GREAT TIME, YOU DESERVE IT!