An Accredited Florida Law Enforcement Agency

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find information about an inmate in jail?

Basic arrest and bond information for currently incarcerated individuals is available in the inmate search section of this website. For more information, call (904) 548-4002.

I need to get fingerprinted. How do I do it?

Live Scan (Electronic) Fingerprints are done for the public ($10 processing fee) at the Sheriff’s Office located at 77151 Citizens Circle, Yulee, FL.

Ink Fingerprints are completed at the Nassau County Detention Facility across from the Sheriff’s Office at 76212 Nicholas Cutinha Road, Yulee, FL at a cost of $5 per card. Both services are done between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. For more information call (904) 548-4002.

Can Deputies open my car if I lock my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the Sheriff’s Office does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. However, if a child has locked himself in a vehicle this is a true emergency due to the severe heat possible in Florida. The Sheriff’s Office and/or Fire Department will respond and open the vehicle any way possible, even by breaking out the window if necessary.

Can I report drunk drivers to 911 on my cell phone?

Yes.  Calls to 911 on a cell phone are free, but unlike regular phones we can’t tell where you are calling from.  Be prepared to give your location, direction of travel and a description of both cars.  Your safety is of utmost importance to us.  Do not pursue the drunk driver or in any way place yourself in danger.

I think there may be a warrant out for my arrest. What should I do?

You should come “in-person” to the Sheriffs Office or Criminal Division at the Courthouse (with identification in hand) to see if they have an outstanding warrant.

I have left my spouse, but I need to get my personal belongings. Can the Sheriff’s Office help me?

Yes, we can have a deputy meet you and accompany to your residence to standby while you retrieve your belongings.

How do I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

The Sheriff’s Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity.  If it is an emergency, dial 911. For non-emergencies, call (904) 225-5174 in Yulee and toll-free (855) 725-2630 in Callahan and Hilliard. The dispatcher who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved.  You might be asked if an officer or detective may contact you, but you may refuse.

How can I keep someone from coming back on my property that doesn’t belong here?

You can request that a deputy respond to your property and issue a trespass warning to the person. If the person returns to your property after the warning has been issued he or she can be arrested. To request a deputy for the purpose of issuing a trespass warning please call our non-emergency line at (904) 225-5174 in Yulee and toll-free (855) 725-2630 in Callahan and Hilliard.

How do I find out about getting a concealed weapon permit?

The Sheriff’s Office is not involved in the issuance of concealed weapons permits.  Complete information on this subject is available on the Florida Secretary of State’s website Division of Licensing.

Who is required to wear a bicycle helmet?

Florida law requires that a bicycle rider or passenger under age 16 must wear a helmet that meets the nationally recognized standards for bicycle helmets.  It is also unlawful to rent a bicycle to a person under age 16 unless the person has an approved helmet or one is provided with the bicycle.  Violations of the law relating to bicycle helmets subject the violator to issuance of a traffic citation which may effect when they can be issued a drivers license.  The Center for Disease Control and National Bicycle Safety Network maintain a very informative website.

How do I make a police report?

The Sheriff’s Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to requests for assistance.  Some reports may even be able to be taken over the phone.  The person taking your request will be able to determine how your report can best be handled.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can I do about it?

Call our Traffic Enforcement Section at (904) 548-4028 and request that this area be placed on selective enforcement

What can I do about stray dogs and cats and barking dogs?

Nassau County Animal Services is the county agency responsible for calls involving dogs, cats, and other nuisance animals.  They can be reached at (904) 491-7440.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were in an accident?

The Sheriff’s Office dispatch center does not have the names of people involved in accidents available.  However, if a person has been injured in an accident and is unable to call for themselves, we will notify their family.

Will the Sheriff’s Office tow an abandoned car?

The Sheriff’s Office can only have vehicles towed that are on public property.  Call a wrecker service in your area and the vehicle will be towed away at no expense to you.  The wrecker service will notify the owners once they have determined ownership.

What should I do if I see graffiti?

Notify your local law enforcement agency so that they can take a report and photograph the graffiti. This enables law enforcement to monitor gang activity.