Neighborhood Watch is a program where neighbors of a particular community join together with the Sheriff’s Office to assist in the reporting of any criminal activity. Neighborhood Watch participants normally operate during hours when criminal activity is most likely to occur. If criminal activity is observed, members of the program are required to immediately notify the Sheriff’s Office and are not permitted to intervene.
A Deputy Sheriff patrolling your neighborhood may not recognize a stranger in your yard but your neighbor will. Neighbors know who you are and the type of vehicle you drive. They may be the first to notice an unfamiliar face at your window or door, or a strange car in your driveway. For this reason, the Neighborhood Watch Program can be a very effective tool in assisting law enforcement in keeping your community safe.
Neighborhood Watch Tips:
- Suspicious individuals or activities
- Someone screaming or shouting for help
- Property being taken out of houses or buildings where no one is home
- A stranger running through private yards
- Vehicles passing by numerous times or suspiciously parked in areas that you would not normally see them
- Use good lighting
- Use good security locks
- Keep shrubbery trimmed
- Lock all doors and windows whenever your house is unoccupied
- Let a trusted neighbor know when you are on vacation. Don’t advertise it!
- Stop deliveries and have all mail picked up
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
* The Nassau County Sheriff’s Office recognizes that some content on this page may not be accessible. We have developed a remediation plan to make all content accessible and are actively implementing the plan. To review the remediation schedule click here.
If you require an alternate format for any content on this website please contact us. Please indicate your preferred format for the content you have requested and your contact information.