School Crossing Guards are highly visible representatives of the Nassau County Sheriff’s Office who are responsible for encouraging patterns of proper crossing behavior by school children. They are assigned at designated crossing points throughout the County.
School Crossing Guards are assigned to school crossing post where hazards exist for school children. Their primary concern is the safety of the students at their designated crossing.
School Crossing Guards are non-certified law enforcement members of the Nassau County Sheriff’s Office and must have successfully completed the Florida Department of Transportation certification standards.
Requirements for a School Crossing Guard
- Dependability, good eyesight and good hearing are mandatory
- Knowledge of basic traffic laws & regulations pertaining to school zones
- Ability to work outdoors in a wide variety of weather conditions
- Ability to develop respect and have a positive relationship with children
- Exercise mature judgment in emergencies
- Shall not have a criminal record or history of mental illness
- Shall take a polygraph examination and pass a background investigation
- Shall submit and pass a drug test
- Attend a four hour classroom instruction conducted by a certified FDOT trainer
- Attend a two hour in-the-field instruction session conducted by a certified trainer
- Take a written test and pass with a minimum grade of seventy-five
School Crossing Guard Equipment
- Whistle and whistle chain.
- Retro-reflective hand held stop sign.
- Traffic Gloves
- Retro-reflective vest
School Crossing Guard Assignment Locations
- Southside Elementary
- Emma Love Hardee
- Fernandina Beach Middle/Senior
- Yulee Elementary
- Yulee Middle
- Callahan Elementary
- Callahan Middle School
- Hilliard Elementary School
If you are interested in a School Crossing Guard position, please complete the Support Staff application and return to Human Resources!