Yulee, Fla. – The Nassau County Sheriff’s Office is urging residents to think about safety as they make plans to celebrate the “Fourth of July.” Every year thousands of people and animals are injured by fireworks. Fireworks can result in severe burns, scars and disfigurement that can last a lifetime.
Some of the illegal fireworks prohibited for normal resale are as follows:
Bottle Rockets, Firecrackers; M80’s; Projectile Fireworks; Launchable Rockets with Stands.
If you are using “legal” sparklers, novelties and trick noisemakers there is still a risk of injury. When lit, some sparklers can reach temperatures between 1,300 and 1,800 degrees, which are at least 200 degrees hotter than standard butane lighter.
Please follow these precautions to celebrate safely:
- Use sparklers and other “legal” novelties on a flat, hard surface. Do not light them on grass.
- Use sparklers in an open area. Keep children and pets at least 30 feet away from all ignited fireworks. Also keep in mind that livestock such as horses, cows, etc. can also be frightened by fireworks.
- Light only one item at a time and never attempt to re-light a dud.
- Don’t purchase or use any unwrapped items or items that may have been tampered with.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or water hose on hand for emergencies.
Remember: “IF IT LAUNCHES OR EXPLODES, IT IS OFF LIMITS.”